Thursday, July 8, 2010

Are You Sure You Like Classical Music?

This question will sound awkward if directed to a classical musician. Your natural response would be; Of Course I play an orchestral instrument and I am in 3 different orchestras and a string quartet, how can you ask me that? Well, we sure like to play our instruments and practice until our fingers bleed, but, practicing your instrument 8 hours a day means that you like classical music?
I’ll tell you what! How do you feel if I ask you to go to a performance every weekend? I’m pretty sure a lot of musicians will say yes to that! That’s easy! Some of us will say yes but we might make it to a few concerts, and then we start getting lazy and miss the rest of the season. I asked if you are sure you like classical music because sometimes we just don’t go to concert for long periods of time, just because we are lazy. There is no other reason. We like to play our instruments and give concerts but we don’t go to them if we are not playing. Being a complete musician also consist in going to concert and support your colleges. Concerts will increase the amount of repertoire you’ve ever listen, will make you understand better the music you already know, they will help to understand better the style of the composer, and another million things musically speaking. And, by the way, you are supporting “your people”. You want them to listen to your music right? So there is no reason to miss a classical music concert ever again. I propose you to check the schedule of every ensemble around your community and mark it in your agenda. This way you will never forget another concert.
I was like that! I liked to play the violin in everything. I didn’t care with who or which ensemble, as long as I was playing I was happy, it feels good to play my instrument. I missed a lot of concerts because…. you know…. I was careless. I like huge symphonic sounds, I am a total geek of film music so I listen to soundtracks but played classical music. I know!! It sounds really bad! One summer after a music festival, I realize that going to concerts and listening to classical music a bit more will make me a better musician and will help my violin playing. I believe is worth it! Give it a try!


Recent Post

How to Hear Colors in Music
How Important is Good Discipline and Smart Practicing
4 Things Classical Musicians Will Have to Live With….
How do They do it? Write Music
How to Enjoy a Classical Music Concert

 

 

Go to the Blog Archive for more Posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment